Welcome to Blue Ridge Angoras. We're a new small family rabbitry that love and plan to breed purebred German Angora Rabbits. On this blog you will find our life with rabbits from the very beginning as we search for them, through our daily adventures, from learning to spin and felt the fiber, to finding the babies new homes. Join us for the love of Fur and Fiber!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My First Attempt At Spinning

With baby bunnies being born this week and all the anticipation of their soft white fiber I thought perhaps I should learn how to do something with it all. My go-to place for learning things is Youtube...I'm a visual learner ;o)

There are a couple great videos there that really helped me figure it out. The young lady whose Youtube name is theartofmegan has an entire series on the subject that I highly recommend.



I then hit one of my other favorite sites...Ebay...where I purchased a drop spindle and a small amount of pretty pink fiber from billman7312 to begin with. The spindle came yesterday and I was very pleased with it. It's not a high tech item, but I did appreciate that it was stained nicely and then had a clear coat put over it. It's well made...although I do think if I purchase another one I may look for one with a notch in the side to help keep the yarn from sliding as I'm trying to re-loop it.



After a few minutes with Megan and the drop spindle this is what I was able to create...it was VERY exciting!!


The fiber was probably about 18inches long and so I had to pull it into thinner sections and then join those sections together for one long piece of yarn. The sections where there were no joins actually look pretty uniform in thickness. Joining is an art I'm going to have to work on a bit more though ;)


By the end of it I had a spindle full of pink yarn! The fiber that came with the spindle was a good strong fiber...which is great because I do believe I did what they call "over spin" LOL The yarn is VERY twisted. I'm not sure I will bother processing it like a regular yarn since there is so little of it...perhaps I might be able to knit it right off the spindle into a little swatch??

Someday I believe we will invest in a spinning wheel, but I will need to have a good amount of fiber to do that, a little chunk of change, and a very understanding husband ;)

1 comment:

  1. I too live in the Blue Ridge(WNC)and I just bought a spindle from the same Ebay seller, I hope I had as much luck with it as you did.

    ReplyDelete