Welcome to Blue Ridge Angoras. We're a new small family rabbitry that love and plan to breed purebred German Angora Rabbits. On this blog you will find our life with rabbits from the very beginning as we search for them, through our daily adventures, from learning to spin and felt the fiber, to finding the babies new homes. Join us for the love of Fur and Fiber!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Preparing The Roving

It was time to play with the roving. First of all I now understand why people dye the roving. I had wondered when I looked at pictures why they didn't just spin the yarn and then dye it all. The answer is because spinning white after white after white just isn't as exciting...or at least that's my theory right now.

I once again turned to theartofmegan on Youtube...for how-to's watch the following.



So you saw my fist full of fiber in the previous post. Now it was time to get it ready for spinning!

I split the original roving in half and got these two balls. It was like the ball of roving was multiplying! Each of those balls looked bigger than the original one.


Then I took those two balls and split them in half again. So this is the original fiber quartered.


This is one of the quarters next to another quarter that was split in half one again. It started getting a little trickier at this point trying to make sure that the two halves were similar in size.


The last step in preparing the roving was to take one of those eighths and pre-draft it out. Megan explains it well in the video above. So after all the pre-drafting I wound it into a nice neat little nest...and next will come spinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment